I took a look through my Flickr set of all my brooches so far for the Brooch a Day challenge and realized that I actually never updated the blog with the process. Time to play catch up and go back in time.
Week 2 did not have any Grasshopper programming work involved. It was all about learning more about brooch mechanism as I have never done any brooches before. I used some objects I had laying around and made them into brooches.
It came in handy that I had some failed 3D prints on hand from earlier design explorations for bracelets. This keeps it still somewhat related to the original intend of using CAD process for some of the brooch making.
Brooch #9 The Wheel Brooch
Those are 3D printed stainless steel miniature bracelets on my brooch #8 magnetic pin.
I accidentally messed up the scale of these bracelet designs and they are only 1/2 the size (35mm diameter). Too small for any human hand, maybe it would fit a doll. Rookie mistake in the virtual CAD world ;-) But perfect size for some brooches. Since they are just holding on by magnetic power the arrangement is flexible.
Brooch #10 Bumpy Rail Brooch
One of those accidentally 1/2 sized bracelets that could be napkin holders or, well, a brooch.
3D printed stainless steel, modeled in Rhino/ T-splines. Stainless steel brooch pin and catch welded to ring. Testing out my PUK stainless steel welding settings with these brooches too. Stainless steel welds pretty nicely. The PUK even has a pre-settings for that material. Makes it easy.
Brooch #11 Rilled Pin
In this one I was using a 3d printed stainless steel bead I had designed earlier in Rhino3D/ T-splines. Perfect for a brooch design. I made a little "flower" bouquet out of some sterling silver head pins and added a thicker wire as the stem. Sterling silver was then oxidized. The 3D printed stainless steel bead is 23mm long, 12mm diameter.
Brooch #12 Rilled Slider Brooch
One more of these rilled 3D printed stainless steel bead. Here it slides and spins freely on a steel pin, which is tension set in a welded stainless steel frame. The frame was all welded with the PUK welder. As a brooch mechanism I used some SST tubing, formed catch from sheet and bent SST wire into a double pin.
The next brooch deserves it's own post. There was no CAD involved at all. But it will be the inspiration for the next weeks Grasshopper practice designs.